Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The WORST event at the Winter Olympics...

...has to be the doubles luge. I mean I'm not a big curling guy either, but at least that sport makes some sense to me (after all, isn't it just shuffleboard on ice?!?). But I don't get the doubles luge, and here's why:

It's gratuitous. I think the luge is cool, but why do we need doubles luge? It's like someone just decided that lumping another person on top of a luger would make for great TV. Maybe the conversation went like this: "Let's dress another guy up in spandex and put him on the sled as well! Well, where're we gonna put him? Right on top of the other guy! Genius!"

I know. While we're at it, let's do the quad luge at the next Olympics. Stack four dudes on a sled, tie 'em on with bungee cords and see what happens down the track. Or maybe we need the family luge event. Grab the kids, get 'em in a skinsuit and hold on tight! Or perhaps a luge train. String like 10 two person sleds together, blow the whistle and chug down the run.

I think the finals are on tonight. I think I'll clean the office until Bob Costas switches us to the Nordic Combined...

No comments: