Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I don't quite get...

...why the heezy they put a U.C. campus out in Merced, CA. I was out there today and it is a crazy place. Picture a dinky, central valley cow town, drive 10 minutes east out into the fields, then imagine a top notch research university. It is totally surreal. Here's a somewhat dated (year old) picture of the construction:



Couple more crazy things about UC Merced:
  • Someone told me today that the library on campus will be the most technologically advanced library in the state
  • The campus population right now is over 30% Asian, which isn't weird until you realize that the city of Merced is only just over 10% Asian
  • The mascot is the Bobcat. Are there bobcats in the central valley at all? I've lived here for a year and a half and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any bobcats running around Clovis
Here's an artist's rendering of what's it's gonna look like someday (they are estimating eventually 20K students):



While we're at it, I humbly submit my ideas for future educational facilities in our fine central valley:

University of California at Earlimart
West Turlock Poly
The Lemoore School of Mines
Cal State Fowler
The Dunlap Institute of Technology
Reedley College (oh wait, they already have that one)

No comments: