So we're flying. Tomorrow is the last of just three days in Exodus! So without further ado, some general impressions on the wonder that has been/is Genesis:1. Questions, questions, questions. As I go, I'm writing notes in the margins (my built-in, Rob Dixon 2.78 point writing font comes in handy...). As I look back at the 36 pages of Genesis, I see lots of question marks. Why did God choose the curses He did? Who was Cain's wife anyway? Who are the three visitors? At Babel, is it really true that "nothing...will be impossible" for the humans? Who are the Nephilim and is Yao Ming one of them? What does God have against Pharaoh's baker? So many questions...
2. There's certainly a "WTF factor" to reading Genesis. OK, there are some whacked out and wild stories interspersed with the main narrative. Lot and his daughters in 19? Come on. What Jacob (and Rebekah) does to poor Esau is just jacked up. And then what's up with the Judah and Tamar story in 38? A hot mess. I read these vignettes and find myself wondering just what I'm supposed to glean from them. Which brings me to the truth that...
3. People are screwed up in Genesis! I'm taking this to be a good thing. These are the heroes of the Bible and what a sorry lot they are at points. Abraham, followed by Isaac, lies about the identity of his wife. These people lie, cheat, steal, take too many wives, etc. But the kicker is that I can relate to them (except, thankfully, the part about taking too many wives), and that gives me hope. The sovereign Lord of the universe chooses to use chumps to accomplish His purposes. That's a good word right there.
4. At the end of the day, God will get His mission accomplished.There we are after chapter 50. The world is established, people are made, sin enters in, God starts His work of redemption. A Holy Covenant gets created, affirmed, passed on and then affirmed again. Flawed people come and go, but, throughout, His mission is the story.
One other thing...so far so good. No missed days. I even made it through three days on the road. Three observations so far:
a. Reading the narratives is easy work compared to the genealogies. And don't get me started about the myriad specific instructions and laws in Exodus!
b. I'm having to get used to not reading for depth. Breadth is the ticket with this format, but I realize that I have been InterVarsity-ized to appreciate deep Bible Study. So, this is a counter-cultural thing for me. I'm trying to give myself grace.
c. I'm no monk. That is, when it comes to Bible reading, I don't get the "luxury" of my own cell, quiet, candle-light, maybe a wooden cross on the wall, nice monastery-quality adult beverages, etc. No sir. My reading gets mixed in with changing diapers, yelling kids, the laundry getting folded, the Stanley Cup playoff game, putting Lily down, tuning up the sprinklers, checking email, the bedtime routine, text messages and, well, I gotta see who's tweeting! And all of that was just tonight! I'm learning to read the Scriptures in the everyday mess of our lives. It's a good thing.
Tomorrow's reading: Exodus 29-41. The day after that? Here comes Leviticus...
No comments:
Post a Comment