So I did it. I signed up. 90 days to read the whole of the Bible. We went to church (for the first time in a month), I saw the announcement in the bulletin and I signed up right after the service (for those familiar with the language of Switch, I directed my rider and I'm trusting that the elephant will follow...).As it turned out, I even had the 90 Day Bible on my bookshelf. I had bought one 4 years ago at a bookstore and thought it would be great to do the program. Back then, I made it 2 days. This time will be different. Why?
1. I'm doing this in community. Last Wednesday morning, I hauled myself out of bed at 6:30am to go to a weekly class with 100+ of my nearest and dearest friends. We sat around tables and talk about what we read and learned.
2. I'm putting it out there. Here I am in cyberspace for one. But then I've also got it in the summer growth plan that I'll be sending out to my team. There's something about going public that spurs me on.
3. I'm tying in some writing. For me writing is a way that I synthesize my experiences. When I'm not writing regularly, something is wonky. My plan is to write a blog post when I finish a book. That way I can record my major impressions and keep them in one place. Genesis coming up, either tomorrow or the day after.
What am I hoping to get out of this adventure? Better Bible fluency, the joy and satisfaction of committing to something and following through, the experience of a consistent 40 (or so) minute reading slot each morning, an experience (or 90) with the Lord, funny names to offer next time someone I know is expecting, etc.
3 days in. 40 chapters. So far, so, ah, weird. What's with this passage anyway?!?
2 comments:
You go Rob! One of our small groups of about 15-20 students took that on for the semester... Most got through the Pentateuch and one of the leaders made it through the Psalms... You show them students that you still got it!
That passage...oh, that's just Days of Our Lives.
Post a Comment