Monday, March 20, 2006

I gotta get me one of those chairs...

I enjoy reading through Christianity Today each month. Between that, Sojourners and a bunch of websites/blogs, I feel like I get a good monthly dose of all things Christendom. In the March issue for instance, there's a great article by Frederica Matthewes-Green comparing culture and the weather (check it out!). But what really caught my eye were the ads. Yep, the ads. Let me explain...

Each CT issue has a ton of ads. And in the March issue there are the usual suspects: Bible schools and Seminaries, Church financing, books (Billy Graham has a new one out), Conferences and, for some reason, Church seating (I'm not kidding. Did you know that the Celebration chair by Series has a 20" egress between rows as well as 20% more seating capacity than the conventional pew?!? Talk about a "mercy seat...").

But this time around, two "non-normal CT ads" stood out to me:
  • Ethiopian Airlines has a nice ad. An interesting choice. Recruiting short-term missions teams perhaps? Evidently, "there's no better way to go to Africa." Cute giraffe.
  • Lexmark. The "most interesting ad" award goes to Lexmark, the printing folks. And it even comes with a special offer! I guess it makes sense to advertize in CT; I wonder how many ink cartridges churches use each week to print up those bulletins?!?
For April, I humbly suggest some other CT ad options:
  • Kleenex (Jesus wept. Buy Kleenex.)
  • Gatorade (Is HE in you?)
  • Verizon (Can you hear HIM now?)
  • Lysol (Lysol: A fragrant offering unto the Lord.)
  • Nike (Just WWJDo it.)
  • AT&T (Your Lord. Delivered.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, Rob. You could do some serious damage in the Christian bumper sticker business as well.

Rob said...

Anything to offset the funding deficit...
Love your blog Scott!