Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Ah, the NIT

Today, the NIT (National Invitation Tournament) is basically viewed as the NCAA's weak younger step-child. On ESPN recently, I heard it referred to as the "battle for the 66th best team in the nation."

Pooh on that I say. If you read the NIT history, you will find that it actually pre-dates the NCAA tournament, by one year. In addition, through the 1960s, there was much debate over which tournament was more prestigious. Plus, basketball is basketball. I just finished watching Florida State vs. South Carolina (last year's NIT winner), and that was a pretty good game right there. I would say that either of those two teams would have done some damage in the NCAA tournament this year.

Now let me pimp the locals for a second...a couple of fun facts about the NIT for Fresno folks...State won the men's tournament in 1983. And, the women's NIT is going on right now with Fresno State advancing into the third round. Here's the bracket. Go Lady Dogs!

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Did you just say that you're "pimping" the locals? Did you pop your collar when you said it?

Rob said...

Heck yeah I said it. I'm on a mission to redeem that term and make it useful...
Are you sick yet?