Thursday, March 10, 2011

When people tell me that "they grow up too fast," I usually roll my eyes. But here's the thing...it's true.

In just 47 days, the Dixons are going to have 9 year old on our hands. That notion sort of staggers me. So I thought tonight that I'd record some of my favorite things about Josh right now. Gotta do it quick before he grows out of them!

I love how he has crazy, long hair right now that is ever rumpled...and he doesn't care.
I love how last night when he was having trouble going to sleep, I totally distracted him with a google picture search on "space shuttle."
I love how he's dutifully collecting cards. He's even got the little plastic card sleeves in a binder. Somewhere out in the garage, his dad has boxes full of cards just waiting to be rediscovered.
I love how he loves being a big brother, even though living in a house with 3 little sisters is constant chaos.
I love how he's content with his steady improvement on the soccer field.
I love how he loves to tell me about what he's experiencing...again and again.
I love how he can't tie his shoes, how he struggles to zip his jacket and how putting on shinguards kind of mystifies him. What's the rush? There'll be time for all of that later.
I love how, no matter the temperature, he cocoons each night in his Sesame Street blanket.
I love how we faithfully pray for Bosnia most nights.
I love how he's totally geeked up to go to the Monster Truck show at the SaveMart Center tomorrow night with his friend Preston.
I love how he can't wait to be a runner like his dad.
I love how he is tender-hearted.
I love how he thought our waitress was cute last weekend. I think the quote was "Mommy, I think I know who I want to marry."
I love how he's a reader. The kid's not happy unless there's a book nearby.
I love how he gave his friend Garrett five bucks. Just because.
I love how he's committed to the Lakers and Dodgers for life. Sorry Uncle Seth!
I love how he's memorized everything there is to know about Super Mario Galaxy. It reminds me of how I felt growing up about Middle Earth.
I love how I really have to work to beat him at MarioKart.
I love how I'm slowly wearing him down and sometime soon he'll read a Hardy Boys mystery.
I love how thrilled he gets with Man Lunches, Family Fun Days and time with us. May that never change!
I love how for some reason he has to use our bathroom in the morning.
I love how he's up to three bowls of Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the morning.
I love how unlike his sister he doesn't mind me hugging him goodbye in the morning at school.

I could go on. Josh, when you read this someday, know that your Dad is CRAZY about you and the little man that you are becoming! I love you buddy.

1 comment:

Una said...

Great post, Rob! I love all the stories of your children and your affection for them. Happy birthday, Josh!