I read A God-Sized Vision last Sunday in preparation for some meetings this week. What a fantastic read! The book hit me on several levels:As a history major, I loved the stories of how God has worked in the past. What a joy to hear about the global and historic scope of His work in fanning revival. You leave this book certain that no place, people or timeframe is outside of God's ability to work.
As a staff worker, I loved hearing about the people that God used to advance his purposes on earth. People like Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney and Timothy Dwight at Yale. As someone who everyday works to see students transformed, campuses renewed and world changers developed (how's that for a plug for IV?!?), I left inspired that God might bring revival onto my campuses in my day. May it indeed be so!
As a writer, I loved reading about the importance of chronically the work of God. I mean, how incredible that a revival in Whales could directly lead to a revival in India?!? It's not like those countries are neighbors! When God's people experience a fresh work of His Spirit, when they write it down, and then when they share it with others, the work spreads. It was fun to dream about what this could look like on our campuses.
Lastly, as a Jesus follower, I loved being challenged by what revival could mean for me. Where do I need revival in my own heart? Where do I want to see God work in fresh and amazing ways in my character? Where in my personal ministry do I need a rekindling? A God-Sized Vision gives the reader hope that the Spirit has the power to renew our souls and bring us back to life.
No comments:
Post a Comment