Back at the beginning of the school year, I blogged about how I'd made it into the top 30 of InterVarsity staff nationwide in terms of the all important metric that is the frequency of car rentals. All year I've kept track of my rentals, and here are the final tallies:
Number of cars rented: 18
Number of days: 52 (that's a month and a half out of 9 spent on the road last year)
Total cost: $2,124.79 (or the equivalent of 8 and a half wii systems or 708 Starbucks hot chocolates)
Total miles: 10, 687 (I could have driven to Boston and back and then there again instead...)
So there are the stats. And I'd like to give some props to Dollar. Early this year I just committed to one agency to rent from. I became a member of their rewards program and it worked like a champ. I have in my file three free rental days, but the biggest thing was that the desk staff started to recognize me when I'd come in. Somebody say "free upgrades!"
Lastly, perhaps you are wondering how I did this year? I got a letter from "corporate" (tip of the hat to Michael Scott), and here's an except:
"You have been selected, based upon your unique position as one of the top 30 InterVarsity employee auto renters! Because of your select position, you came to the attention of the auditor of our business auto insurance policy."
So I have to send in a copy of our policy and my DMV record. It's funny. I never thought of my travel load as anything approaching "unique" and "select!"
2 comments:
10687 miles @ maybe an average of 20mpg is 534 gallons. 534 gallons @ $4.00/gallon (sure it's higher now, but it was lower last september) is $2137 in gas. On the whole, that doesn't seem that bad.
Can't you tell them that you are on your sabbatical? And, the best they can offer is to be audited...no t-shirts, portfolio pad delio, new pen???
Post a Comment