I failed a tb test the other day. Our district administers free skin tests to parents who would like to volunteer in the classroom, and when I went back to have it read it was 10mm and failing. My reward? A trip to county health this morning on Fulton Mall at 8am for a chest X-ray. I'll hear the results in 10 days, but they said it's likely that I was exposed, my immune system resisted it, and it's lying dormant inside my body. If I take one pill a day for 9 months, I can supposedly knock it out. I don't know.
Anyway, I was asking the tech about tb, about it's prevalence in the valley, and he said this:
"Tuberculosis exists where poverty exists."
Sad and true. So let me guess...I probably wasn't exposed to this in SLO. Maybe here in Fresno? In Guatemala? In the DR? Mexico?
No comments:
Post a Comment