My top 10 list from the day:
1. Trevor Immelman's golf swing. Wow. That guy has such a smooth, balanced swing. His worst swing on Saturday was better than any golf swing I've ever attempted in my golfing life.
2. Being close enough to Phil Mickelson on the putting green to hear him call something "bullshit." You can't hear that sitting on your couch at home!
3. Shaking some famous (or mostly famous) hands. My list included: Jim Nantz, Paul Stankowski, Ian Baker-Finch, Matt Cain, Andy Garcia, Tom Dressen and Trevor Immelman.
4. Patient golf pros. As sweet at Immelman's swing was, it was his patience that impressed me most. Think about it. It's a 6 hour round of golf at its highest level on one of the toughest courses in the country, punctuated by outrageous and at times borderline inappropriate outbursts from a crazy amateur (looking at you Mr. Lopez). Unbelievable watching Ian and Paul keep their cool.
5. Allow me to quote George Lopez, when he was asked about why he doesn't wear John Daly's golf pants: "I tried a pair once; my nuts caught on fire."
6. Getting in Bill Belichick's way. There I was, leaning against the pro shop counter minding my own business when I hear this gruff "excuse me please" behind me. Yep, that was me, blocking Patriots coach Belichick's walk from the pro shop restroom to the first tee.
7. Sliders on 6. Let me just tell you that the pros eat well on the course. Case in point...the slider burger bar on the 6th tee. So good. And, thankfully, I got my fill before the group behind me got there. That group included Daly, Cain and, oh yeah, some dude named Tony Romo.
8. It takes an army to televise this thing. Part of our package was a brief tour of the CBS compound. Tour guide told us that it takes 300 people to tell the story of the tournament. It was a small village over there!
9. The star of the show was really the golf course. What a gem. Beautiful day, amazing course. I'll have to get back there to play a round sometime, right after I win the lottery.
10. For me it really was all about the pros. I was star-struck by Garcia and Lopez for like 30 seconds. After that, it was all about watching Immelman and Stankowski do their thing. It was great to see someone actually play this crazy game with some skill!
The security thugs were pretty committed to us not taking pictures during the round, but I managed a few. First one is the iconic 7th tee with Andy Garcia getting ready to play. Second one is on the 18th tee. Third one is me in the fairway on 11 in my spiffy Pebble Beach windshirt. And, last but not least, me and Jimmy on 18 green.



1 comment:
Dang. What a cool day!
Post a Comment