Wednesday, June 02, 2010

What do I do again?!?

This past weekend Amy and I hit up my 20th High School Reunion. Wow. The experience deserves a post unto itself, but for now I just want to comment on a question that has long been a difficult one for me to answer and one that I was asked repeatedly that night:

So, Rob, what do you do?

Here's the thing. I am in no way ashamed of what I do. I love my job and will happily talk about it whenever, wherever and to whomever I can. And yet in a social setting with new (or in this case, old) people, I'm often at a loss for how to describe my job. Specifically, I never know how provocative to be. Because my answer to the question can either invite further dialog or shut it down pretty quickly. It seems to me like there is some sort of continuum of potential answers, ranging from high (10) to low (1) in the provocative-meter:

10--I'll borrow from a staff buddy of mine named Jon Ball and use this one: "I help Christian college students learn how NOT to be religious." Guaranteed to raise a few eyebrows and spark a conversation. People usually don't know how to handle that one.

1--"I'm a middle manager in a faith-based non-profit." It's a conversation killer. I might as well be saying, "Let's not talk anymore; neither of us want to continue this conversation."

At the Reunion, I went with a 5 and said this: "I help college students figure out where issues of faith fit in with their worldview." Come to think of it, maybe it's more of a 7. In general, it got a good response.

So what to do? Dare I try to break it down?!?

1. Try to gauge potential interest based on a first impression.
2. Pick my line and deliver it with gusto.
3. Let the chips fall where they may.

Thoughts on this? When I re-read the post, it sounds like I'm working out my best pick-up lines. Other ideas for me?

2 comments:

Eddy E said...

Pretty good Dixon! I tell people I'm a campus staff member with InterVarsity. I'm actually not sure what it means... :)

But rather than focus on the gist of your post, I want to focus on the first line--20th? 20th?

(but with all due respect, I probably would have believed you had you said that you hit up your 5-year reunion... probably)

Dave Dixon said...

Great seeing you this year! ah, 20 years!

How about just keeping it simple...
I work for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. We serve and minister to college students throughout the U.S.

If they want to talk more, great. if not, that's ok too. :)

- Dave