Thursday, June 10, 2010

Deuteronomy

My experience of reading Deuteronomy illustrates the reality that I really do read this stuff in a variety of places. For instance, I began reading Deuteronomy by flashlight in my cabin out on the island. Then, I read the middle chunk on the boat ride back to San Pedro (mercifully, it was a smooth crossing!). Finally, I finished the book in the rocking chair here in our house. In the back of the 90 Day Bible I'm starting to keep track of the random variety of places that this stuff gets read for me. Keep you posted.

As for Deuteronomy, I had to start by figuring out what the title meant. Genesis I get, Exodus is clear, though maybe I'd choose something different. Leviticus makes sense and Numbers is, well, unimaginatively obvious. But what does Deuteronomy mean? It's been too long since my Fuller OT class! Turns out the English word Deuteronomy comes from the Greek word Deuteronomion which means "second law." That seems about right to me, as in a lot of ways Deuteronomy to me felt like the "Pentateuch Lite," or a summary and reiteration of all that God was communicating to the nation through the first 4 books of the OT.

So, a few major impressions from "the second law:"

1. God is strident in his call to purity. This is a theme through the Pentateuch of course, but in Deuteronomy, I was struck by the repeated phrase "purge the evil from among you (Deuteronomy 22:21 as an example)." God has this thing about wholeheartedness; that is, He requires full devotion. Sounds cliche, but 99.9% isn't good enough for Yahweh. As I read, I struggle with the implications of this, because it means that the .1% gets summarily eradicated, but I can appreciate the clear call to purity. I wouldn't want to follow a God who asks for anything less.

2. Moses finishes well. Deuteronomy describes for us the end of Moses, the dominant figure of the Pentateuch. In spite of the fact that he sinned (murder and doubt being maybe his two greatest chronicled shortcomings), I love what is written of Moses in Deuteronomy 34: "since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face." Wow. It bears saying here that not all leaders get to finish well. As I get older, and as I think about my own life and leadership, my heart, mind and prayers shift toward this. Lord, let me be one who finishes well with You!

3. Who says the Law isn't practical?!? If you think that, read this.

4. What's up with Deuteronomy 25:11-12?!? Somebody help me on that!

5. Embedded in the Law is protection for the outsider and underdog. God cares for the societal fringe. In that day, this would include people like aliens, the poor, women and the disabled. To care for these folks, the Law includes provisions such as Deuteronomy 24:19: "when you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands." I very much love this about God, that from the very beginning He has been concerned with justice and caring for the disadvantaged. He was in the beginning and He continues to be concerned today.

6. Obedience is life. Oh how I wish I could get my kids to grasp this! Deuteronomy 30:11-20 states pretty clearly the choice: obey and live abundantly, disobey and die gruesomely. Too often for me, I equate obedience with a set of tasks to do for the Lord, or maybe I deconstruct it into simply dodging the second part of the choice articulated above. And so sometimes obedience becomes drudgery. You with me? I mean, how different of an experience with the Lord is it to obey out of a sense of conviction that abundant life is the fruit, instead of a sense of "phew, I managed to check all of the boxes today and avoid destruction." When it comes to motivation, give me that first sense please!

This morning with started in Joshua and hit up the first 14 chapters. I'll be done with Josh tomorrow. I'm realizing that as the books get shorter, the blogging frequency will need to keep up!

No comments: