So my goal was to run under 50 minutes for the 10K. Conversely, I wanted to avoid running over 50 minutes. So of course my time was 50 minutes even. 50:00. Should have lunged or dove across the line...
Here are a few things I would say about running a race that large:
1. Be on time. We were not and as a result, we had to get our race-walk on for about a mile before the start line. Not that that mattered a whole lot, since it took about 15 minutes for everyone to finally cross the start line. Next year, we leave at 7:15 for the race!
2. Be prepared to take risks if you want to make your pace. In the first, oh, mile and a half, it is pandemonium. Chaos. Wall to wall (or gutter to gutter) people. Some walking, some running, some sauntering, some talking to their neighbor, etc. I realized quickly that getting through the throng would require me taking some chances. So I was up on the curbs, weaving through people, stopping, starting, hurtling flower beds, running through front yards, dodging Starbucks tables and more. It stunk. By the time I got to the 2 mile mark, not only was I way behind my goal pace, but I think I used up most of my energy slaloming through the masses.
3. Watch out for flying bodily fluids. Another lovely benefit of running alongside that many people is that you live with the constant specter of someone either spitting or blowing their nose on you. It's like the road is one big asphalt kleenex. Myself, I got some nasal shrapnel on my right shin at about mile 3. Nice.
The results:
Time: 50:00 (like kissing your sister...)
Pace: 8:03
Overall Place: 698 out of 5,783
Age Group: 84 out of 335
Full results here.
Here's a shot of me and the family I got to come with me. Fair warning...next year, we're bringing the whole clan, so get ready people!
1 comment:
I'm gaining something from your experience. But shuddering at the idea of being hocked on.
Congrats on another good race - next one will be under time.
Post a Comment