So she had some quick wit, but the three things I will remember most about my Grandma were her gentleness, her faith and her toughness.
Gentleness is a lost art. Who's gentle anymore anyway?!? The closest my Grandma ever came to swearing was an emphatic "mercy." Getting cut off by a bad driver on Foothill Blvd would solicit a robust "oh my." And a shanked tee shot from my Grandfather over the fence and onto the 210 at Verdugo Hills would warrant an aghast "my stars, Ford." Gentleness. My Grandma had a kind word for everyone, she was a great listener and, even when I was dominating her in a game of Aggravation, it was clear that she was crazy in love with me.
Second, faith oozed out of my Grandma. It was authentic, real and simple. There was this one time when she and my Grandpa led their pool cleaner to Jesus. They prayed together right there in her living room and then he went out to pour in the chlorine! Amazing. I remember so clearly being challenged by her faith. When she led the pool guy to Jesus I was working hard in my dorm to love my non-believing friends, and all of a sudden I was losing to Grandma 1-0! Honestly, the thing that feels the hardest to me in losing my Grandma is knowing that I lose, though only in an earthly sense, the consistent and faith-filled prayers that she would offer to Jesus on our behalf.
Lastly, my Grandma was tough. I mean tough. The kind of tough that could grow up on a farm in Missouri, that could wrangle three wild boys into godly grown men, and that could survive a kidney operation while her wacky husband was kayaking the freakin' Alaskan Yukon. She wanted to live to be 100 and came up just short. Toughness comes from the core of who you are, and in that sense Grandma was great to her core.
A couple days ago, Grandma told a nurse "I'm just ready to go see Jesus." Amen, Grandma. This morning you got your lifelong wish. Enjoy your rewards in heaven and hear the voice of Jesus say "well done, good and faithful servant!" Say hi to Grandpa for us. We love you.
Here's a picture of Grandma from two summers ago with some of her grandkids and great-grandkids:
4 comments:
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. May Jesus' presence be with you in your grieving as you celebrate her life and mourn her passing.
Loved hearing about her. Sorry for your loss.
What a fantastic testimony, Rob. Thanks for sharing it. I have tears in my eyes both for a life well lived (one that made it faithful to the end !) and for your loss.
Oh, that we all could run the race like your Grandma. Thank you for sharing your heart with us.
Post a Comment