Monday, April 23, 2007

On travel...

I just got back last night from 4 days in Santa Barbara. In this most recent concentrated travel season, I've been on the road 16 out of the last 28 days. Here are some things I'm learning about the travel part of my Staff job:

1. I really love my family. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is a true statement. Plus, it freaks me out to know that daily Lucy is terrorizing my office...

2. I've got the maximize the time. My latest realization is that if I'm going to be on the road in meetings or at a conference, I might as well "supersize" the workload. So you'll find me slotting in extra meetings or working on things around the edges (or during the meetings...) in order to get more done. That way, less to do at home!

3. Coming back is tougher than leaving. Here's what I mean...I drag my carcass back from a trip exhausted, and all I want is a couch, the remote control and some ice cream. But Amy is also exhausted, and she wants essentially the same thing (substitute ice cream with popcorn...). So I'm learning to adjust my expectations for reentry. Yesterday on the drive up the 99, I began to pray that I would wake up today with a servant's heart, since there is much to be done with the kids and around the house.

4. I shouldn't complain. If you catch me complaining, smack me! Two reasons...one, it's always tougher for Amy than for me. For instance, during this last trip, while I'm hanging out with cool people playing "Up Jenkins" late night at a Denny's, Amy is home tending to Josh while he's up all night with Bronchitis (true story). Second, the travel I do I do because of our calling, and it has eternal consequences. It is a common thing for me to see students become Christians at Conferences these days, and then to realize that the decisions I/we make at meetings have a direct impact on that moment. That's a sweet understanding that makes the sacrifice worth something.

No more long work trips until May 9-12 (Vegas, baby). In the meantime, I'll enjoy the time at home...folding laundry, vacuuming, errands and, most importantly, protecting the office from Lucy...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, were you at GCF? Did you see the Aids tent? My sister volunteered there all week, did you see her? :) Mack

Anonymous said...

PS. I'm on Team Lucy regarding the office! Go girl!

Rob said...

Hey Mack,

I did see Marissa, but just briefly at the Thursday night event. They did a great job on campus and worked hard. I hope she had a restful weekend!

And about that Lucy comment, just remember you wrote that when we bring her over to your place in late July (we'll be in San Diego for a week for Amy's brother's wedding).

Blessings,
Rob.

Anonymous said...

Rob,
Oh my gosh I would love to see the Dixon clan in July!!! That'd be so cool. I still say go Lucy... I'll keep my office door closed. :)

Rob said...

Mack, we'll look you up when we are down there. The wedding is July 28 I think, and we'll be there a couple days before and after that...