Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Where were you when...?

You know how there are some events that are so, well, so apocalyptic for us that they are forever seared into our memory? In fact they are so important to us that we remember even the specifics of where we were and what we were doing when we heard the news.

November 7, 1991 is one such day for me. That was the day that Magic revealed that he was HIV positive. I remember that I was on my way to class and about to leave the dorm when I saw on the downstairs TV the press conference and announcement. I was sitting there stunned and then realized that I was suddenly not alone. Like some unheard dog whistle, my hallmates were being drawn into the lounge. And together we cried, expressed our unbelief and, en masse, skipped class.

It's a trip to realize that that was 15 years ago now...and to think about how much has changed since then in the world of HIV/AIDS (at least in North America). On that day, I never could have imagined that I would regularly be watching Magic as a TNT studio commentator 15 years later...

No comments: