Saturday, May 06, 2006

Update

I gotta confess that watching the goings-on out on the curb right now is more exciting than watching the Lakers get annihilated, so indulge me this one final update on the "leftover looting" going on in my neighborhood.

I was guessing today that someone would take my screen door. I don't know much about screen door repair, but it sure seemed like it was somehow fixable. Evidently not. I went out to my pile earlier and the door was all bent in two and ripped wide open. Why? My dad ventured the "car hypothesis;" namely, someone backed up into the door and torqued it. Myself, I'm opting to believe that someone did the deed with intentionality, and the only question is motivation. I have two possiblities:

1. Rage. Someone took the time to stop to investigate the door, and finding it worse than it looked at first pass, the old sin nature kicked in and they went mental on my door. Enraged, this person got in touch with their inner Hulk and went ballistic right in front of my house!

2. Altruism. More of a kinder, gentler option. The person saw the door, stopped, got out to investigate, saw that it was unrepairable and then jacked the door...as a favor to other would-be door takers. The thinking: "it's obviously not usable; if I really mess it up I'll save others of my 'basura brethren' the time and energy of getting out to investigate." It's like a community of "dump detectors." I wonder if they have a website?!?

Altruism or rage, with the Lakers down 24 and under 4 to go, I'm off to the bench to watch someone take apart my subtlely dysfunctional hose winder...

No comments: