Happy Earth Day everyone! To celebrate, I dropped 58 bones on gas for the minivan at Vons. When it comes to the environment, or environmentalism, or environmentalists, I've never been the first one in line. Here's been my take: I care about the environment, but don't know what to do to help (other than recycle like crazy), and the enviromental voice in the public square kinda freaks me out and leaves me skeptical.Which is why I surprised myself the other day by picking up the Vanity Fair environmental issue. So part of it I'm sure was the interesting cover (above), but part of it is I am feeling the need to interact more with the plight of the environment. Why? Let me quote Julia Roberts from the V.F. article: "People think, Well, I won't be here when the planet implodes, but maybe your grandchildren will, or your great-grandchildren, or your great-great-grandchildren. And if you could give them one more day on earth, wouldn't you do that for them?"
Yeah, I think I would. So I'm gonna pay attention. One post from my Staff colleague James caught my eye this week linking, through the grid of injustice, the corrupt multinational business machine with the degredation of the environment.
2 comments:
Rob:
Be incredibly careful, there is nothing wrong with beign a good steward of the environment, but precisely what that means is an enormous question - what;s real and what isn't int he world of environmental reporting is not a trivial matter.
Amen to that! Thanks for reading John!
Post a Comment