I think Lebron James is amazing. When he gets the ball in the open court and does one of his ferocious tomahawk dunks, what a display of power and strength! Lance Armstrong is another one. First, what emotional strength to survive cancer, and next his physical power is of course incredible. I love the image of him looking back over his shoulder at a rival and then upping the pedal strokes and pulling away...up one of the steepest roads in Europe. What emotional and physical power.
Then there are guys who are powerful in other ways. Billy Graham has been a pillar of spiritual strength for like 4 decades. All these guys are all unquestionably amazing and powerful. But with all due respect to Lebron, Lance, Billy and the rest, my wife kicks all their asses. Because if you want to talk about power, talk first about a woman giving birth to a child.
Want physical power? Push 9 pounds through your pelvis.
Want emotional strength? Get all sweaty and naked and know in advance that you are about to endure more pain than anyone was ever intended to endure (remember, increased birth pain is the result of sin; guys, we only gotta deal with more yardwork).
Want spiritual fortitude? Walk through 10 months depending on God to provide for this baby in your belly, then go into the delivery room praying through the trauma that is to come.
I have a bias, but clearly my wife is the strongest person in the world. I so admire her strength and power. And, yes, I was thinking about all of that today when I was whining my way through mowing the backyard...
No comments:
Post a Comment