In the end, I blew past Lent and ran til my 42nd birthday on the 24th.
First, let me say thanks to everyone for checking in on me and for cheering me on. It's been fun to have this experience be a little bit communal.
About midway through I blogged some reflections. Here at the end of the streak I'll offer a couple more:
1. Some days it was easy to connect with Jesus (what it was supposedly all about), but sometimes, if I'm honest, it was more about keeping the streak alive. I suppose all streaks are that way, driven by a cause but, from time to time, kept going only by the strength of their own momentum.
2. I was reminded that I really, really like to run. That it gives me life. That it creates space for me to be alone. And with Jesus. That I flat out have a better day when there is a run involved. Rob running is a win for everyone around me!
3. In the end I ran for 52 consecutive days and clocked a total of 83.3 miles. That comes out to 1.62 miles per day. And, to use a running term, I negative splitted. In other words, in the latter half of the streak I ran more per day than in the first half.
4. When it was supposed to be done, I just knew it. Like, I had a sense that it was OK for this thing to be over. In fact, I think I was actually supposed to finish on my birthday, the 24th, when I put in a tenth of a mile for each year of my life. I ran on the 25th just to confirm that fact, and confirm it it did!
Lastly, think some good thoughts on Thursday. Last time I left you hanging, but I'll be heading into surgery on the 1st to repair my left meniscus. What will follow is 6 weeks of recovery, and then I'll be running again.
Heck, maybe I'll try another streak.

No comments:
Post a Comment