Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Why I stay on staff

Yesterday a dear friend asked me a really good question. She wondered why I stay on staff. For me, it's a good question primarily because I don't often ask it of myself. I should ask it more. Because monitoring the state of one's call strikes me as something that's helpful to do on a regular basis (as opposed to something we do once every 4 years or so on staff). So, here are a few reasons why I stay on staff:

1. God's not done working in my soul yet. In a lot of ways, this has been a hard year for me in ministry. Lots of heartache. Believe me, I have my fair share of days when fleeing seems very tempting. But, after I take a breath, I realize that the ups and downs of ministry are shaping me. That is, ministry is about what I do, but it's also/more about how God is forming me. And, right now, it doesn't feel like he's done yet.

2. I have a sustaining passion for our mission. Don't get me wrong, my passion wanes from time to time, but, for the most part, I feel a continual burden for seeing (as IV's vision suggests) students transformed, campuses renewed and world changers developed. Yesterday I got to help a staff team think about their structures and strategies for next year, and I left deeply satisfied.

3. I work with great people. I have friends who tell me that the hardest part of their job are their co-workers. From time to time, that's true for me as well (if I'm honest--and you know who you are!!). But it's likewise true that consistently the best part of my job is my staff community. I work alongside people who spur on my faith, who are interested in who I am becoming, who care about my family and who are a whole lot of fun. I can't imagine working in a cubicle somewhere not knowing my neighbors.

4. It fits our life stage. If I wasn't on staff with its flexible work schedule, I don't know how I would coach soccer, chase a Masters or do the school pick-ups. I don't know how we would manage Amy's writing. Sure, I travel a lot, but a day like today, when I'm home and available, surely keeps me on staff.

5. I think I'm being prepared. Am I an IV lifer? Who knows?!? Maybe so, maybe not. I'm sure on staff long after I would have thought I would have left! But I have a sense that God is right now preparing me for more, whether that's in or out of IV. In other words, I'm not just stuck here. God is forming my character (#1) but he's also galvanizing my leadership in preparation for something different down the road. It feels great to be moving forward.

Thanks, Lord, for continuing to call, and keep giving me the strength to answer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked reading this. I especially like your use of "galvanized" and I look forward to hearing how God continues His work in your life.