Last week my golf buddies and I celebrated 13 straight years of our yearly tournament. 13 years! For me those relationships and our yearly meet-up are something I deeply cherish.
Turns out that this particular trip was my last one in my 30s. That is, next year for the first time I'll tee it up as a 40 year old. At some point in the proceedings, I happened to mention that fact. One friend, always a great question-asker, then asked me the following question: "So, Rob, what have your 30s been about?!?"
Talk about deep thoughts! Keep in mind that a question that deep is far beyond the normal golfing fare that rarely strays beyond club selection, lunch options and past golfing glories (and, more often, failures).
"What have your 30s been about?" The question got me thinking. So there, ready to tee off, I paused to mull over my answer. Sometime mid-consideration, our friend Ed offered what has turned out to be a pretty thoughtful answer. He said:
"Diapers."
Diapers. Truly, diapers are one way to define my 30s. Because the reality is that I changed my first diaper just 2 days into my 30s. Since then, I've changed countless diapers on four different tushies. And now, just 4 months away from the big 4-0, the end is in sight, if only our darling Lily would cooperate. So, diapers. Yes, diapers. Lots and lots of smelly, stinky, nasty diapers. On kids that I love very much and am blessed to have welcomed into the world over the last decade.
Until I come up with something better and more profound, please, offer up a prayer that Lily gets her act together and I'm not changing diapers into my 40s!
1 comment:
Way to sell it Dixon!?!?!? That might be my motto when I am in my 40's or 50's...
Post a Comment