I don't think that I had ever read the book of Nahum before the other day. Like ever. I'm not even 100% sure that I knew it existed! Some impressions from Nahum:1. It's first and foremost an oracle against Nineveh. So my first question was whether this was pre or post Jonah? As in, was this God's judgment that He relented on after the arrival (finally) of Jonah, or was this a later one? Not sure there's any way to tell?
2. There's a helpful description of God as "slow to anger." Right there in 1:3. He certainly is in the Old Testament, way slower than I would be to get angry! And while in the prophetic literature for the most part we get the angry God (see below), we can't forget both how long He was patient and compassionate, and then His promises about a future restoration. Thank God that He is both merciful and just!
3. Who's that up on the mountains in 1:15? And is it Jesus?!?
4. While He's slow to anger, He also will bring the pain. And not just the pain, but utter humiliation. Check out 3:5: ""I am against you," declares the LORD Almighty. "I will lift your skirts over your face. I will show the nations your nakedness and the kingdoms your shame."" Lift up your skirts! That is a first-class smackdown right there!
No comments:
Post a Comment