So I've hit a wall and I'm way behind...More to the point, I'm discovered, somewhat to my surprise, that it is easier for me to be disciplined in my reading when I'm at home in the flow as opposed to on vacation. In addition, I've discovered that it's tough for me to do my Bible reading on top of some other book, particularly some sort of literary crack (looking at you Dan Brown). Finally, I just think that I've hit the limit of my early enthusiasm. It's like I'm 500 meters into my half mile and suddenly, it ain't easy.
This said, it won't surprise you that it took me awhile to get through 1 Chronicles. In fact, it took me about 4 states: Utah, Colorado, Iowa and Minnesota. Here are my big impressions from 1 Chronicles:
1. Which comes first?!? The first big question that I brought into the book of 1 Chronicles was how it (along with 2 Chronicles) juxtaposed with 1/2 Kings. Which came first? In the end, I think we get a clue in 9:2: "Now the first to resettle on their own property in their own towns were some Israelites, priests, Levites and temple servants." So...check my math here, but we're post-exilic, right? That feels like a contrast to 1/2 Kings, which struck me as being more "in the moment" in terms of the exile.
2. How else are they different? This was my second question. How should the reader understand the differences between each account? Let me take a stab at this one...1 Chronicles feels more favorable or charitable to the historical record then 1/2 Kings. As an example, 1 Chronicles omits the story of David and Bathsheba. What to take from this?!? If I hearken back to my Cal Poly history days, I remember one or two profs saying something along the lines of "all history having a perspective." That is, it's impossible to write a historical account without your bias coming through. In the case of 1/2 Kings and 1 Chronicles, then, I think I have to conclude that 1/2 Kings is written to explain the current situation of the nation, while 1 Chronicles is written later and is trying to interpret the exile many years later. That's my theory anyway.
3. Forget "1 Chronicles," this thing should be called "1 Lists." Is it just me or are there a lot of lists in 1 Chronicles. We get lists of genealogies, kingly lines, the temple musicians, the mighty men, and of course the priests. Essentially, 1 Chronicles is a series of lists interspersed with a few stories. It's the book of the bullet points!
4. Pick your poison. OK, I think it's a bit harsh to punish David for wanting to take a census, particularly in a book that might be called 1 Lists, but I'm kind of fascinated by the Lord's method in 21:11-12 and following. David gets to choose the punishment from a list. Brilliant! When Grace messes up today, I'm going with this strategy. "OK Gracie, you lose something, but you get to choose. What's it gonna be? Famine in the land, defeat from our enemies, or a devastating plague!" Yeah, I think that'll work...
5. Love seeing the Spirit work. I'm always wondering how the Spirit works in our lives. In 28:12 and 19, we get a glimpse into that process for David as he planned for building God's temple. God spoke to David in prayer. Not in some crazy vision (at least none that's recorded). Instead, it seems like God downloads the temple plans to David in the day to day run of his life. Perhaps I like this because I feel like it's how God speaks most often to me.
6. Eureka! In another lifetime, I worked for a summer up at Forest Home Christian Conference Center. During that summer (it was the summer of '94), there was this one song that I loved and now, 16 years later, I found that song's inspiration in 16:28-29. Enjoy this gem:
Ascribe to the LORD, O families of nations, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength, ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name. Bring an offering and come before him; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.
OK, gotta run. I have some reading to do!
No comments:
Post a Comment