Friday, December 11, 2009

Last race of the season report

Last Saturday, Amy and I loaded up the kids in the family truckster and headed over to Fresno State for the Toys for Tots Fun Run. We had a great morning! Here's my list of the highlights:

1. Watching Joshua race the quarter mile kids race. The little man was amazing. He did his new running shoes proud! We think he finished 4th among the 7 year old boys, but the best thing was that he had a great time. He's got hi
s race bib and green ribbon up on the wall in his room; pretty cool.

2. Winning something. I won
a running race for the first time in 20 years. No kidding. OK, so it was just my age group, 35-39, and this was not a huge race or anything, but still, it was fun to win (for the record, I think I finished 10th overall). The etched plastic Christmas ornament was alright, but the look of awe and glee on my kids faces when they called me up to the podium was the best. Superdad!

3. My time. As I was with the Turkey Trot, I was aiming for sub-20 minutes for this 5K, and I just missed. 20:18. I went through the 1 mile at 6:13 or so, the 2 mile at 13 flat and then 19:44 at the 3 mile. Next year, more speedwork as preparation and no injuries (sore knee this time), and the 20 minute barrier falls.

4. Full contact. I knocked down the woman who went on to win the women's race. No kidding. I did it. I went all Zola Budd on this woman.
What happened is that as we raced together through the first mile or so, she kept dropping back and then catching up to me. When she would catch me, she would then cut right in front of me, causing me to break stride. This happened 3 or 4 times, and then the next time, well, let's just say that I didn't choose to slow up. Her heel overlapped my right leg and the next thing I know, she's faceplanted on the road. Don't mess with Rob Dixon.

5. Everything else. This is a great event. Santa showed up, The Little Caesar's dude was there, Red from Red Robin cruised by and the Marines were there. Lots for the girls to do, and Amy came home with a big ol' bag of fruit. We all agreed that next year, everyone's running!

Here are some pictures from the day:


No comments: