For the first time ever, I gave up something for Lent this year. What, you ask? French fries. That's right, fries. In the end, not a single tasty, salty, deep-fried morsel of goodness passed through my lips between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Here's what I gleaned from that experience:
1. I actually missed french fries. That sounds somehow sad, but it's true. I like fries. Especially those from Firestone/Doghouse Grill. With ranch. And an hour at the gym afterward...
2. Abstaining from french fries does not automatically bring you closer to Jesus. I mean, that's the point of giving up something for Lent, right? To deny yourself in order to remind yourself that Jesus chose the path of the cross. In my ideal world, every missed fry would be the ticket to a deeper level of spiritual intimacy, but that wasn't my experience. Turns out you have to simultaneously choose to deny yourself and connect with Jesus. Those two don't just naturally happen in tandem.
3. I had enough willpower in the tank. Sitting there on Ash Wednesday, I wasn't so sure I could make it. The first time I was tempted was during a rousing Dixon family dinner...at MacDonald's. At the end of the meal, I had to sit there while we tossed 23 fries away. What a waste! Grieve for each one! But because I don't think of myself as the most self-disciplined individual, I was pleased that I was able to make a commitment and actually stick to it.
By the way, my favorite moment during the "fry fast" came courtesy a Red Robin waiter. My buddy Terron and I were there and I ordered a burger and asked him what he could do in terms of substituting those ubiquitous Red Robin fries. He gave me a weird look, at which point Terron said, "he gave up fries for Lent." The waiter paused a beat, shook his head and said, "You gave up fries for Lent...and you came to Red Robin for dinner?!?"
Good times. Lastly, let it be said that since Easter I have partaken 3 times. Freedom!
2 comments:
Three time!!! Easter was Sunday... It is now Thursday early morning. What does that tell us ROB?
:)
8.5 months until you have a chance to hit in a fry guy...
Post a Comment