Thursday, November 15, 2007

The mathematics of exhaustion

So I got back last night from a three day road trip centered on Fund Development and Staff Supervision, and this morning I could barely get out of bed. Done. Fried. Kaput. And so I thought to myself: "I'm getting old. It didn't use to be this tough. It must be because I'm 35."

But then I thought about it, and maybe there are some other numbers that have something to do with it. Consider these stats from my trip:

59 hours away from home in total
8:45 alone in a car driving the 596 total miles (an average, by the way, of 74.5 miles per hour if my math is right)
2:45 in office time while away (most at a Starbucks in downtown San Fran)
13 hours of sleep (which admittedly is more than average around home lately...)
18 holes of golf on Monday here
101 strokes...my disappointing score
3:15 of downtime (riding on BART, reading before bed, waiting for lunch)
5 black and white hot chocolates from Starbucks along the way

But then here's the real kicker...

25 and a half hours with people. In conversations. Thinking, listening, responding. Staying alert. "On."

Somebody say "introvert!"

1 comment:

marissa said...

i can say introvert! i would feel the exact same way! p.s. this is little newman (er, mack's sister).